Monday, September 29, 2008

Rooted



So, this weekend was our Youth Fall Retreat called Rooted. We had a great turnout. Ornan's Floor was AMAZING and Kevin Kirkland was our speaker. He always knows how to cut to the heart of the issue. During one of our conversations, I had a light bulb moment. As much work as I put into the weekend and after the 100+ hours of preparation, God had the nerve to tell me that He could have done it all without me. After I got over the shock of this comment that was so obviously from the devil, I starting thinking about all of the "things" that I do, and just how rare it is that I just am.


I was excited that the weekend was going according to plan and in my arrogance I boasted to the Lord about all "We" had accomplished. "Lord," I said, "aren't you glad that we do things with excellence around here? I just know that kids will really respond because of how well everything is going." No, I didn't get hit with a lighting bolt, but it was close. He said, "The students will respond because of Me. It has nothing to do with you. In fact, I could have done all of this without you." Ouch.


Then, He asked me why I had done all of the work with excellence; was it for Him, was it to be seen, or was it so that the students would respond the way I wanted them to? Unfortunately, my answer was a little of all three. In looking at my heart and at my intentions, I realized that I was stealing God's glory for myself. My goal in life is to make Jesus famous. If they responded because of how great I had done, was it really glorifying Him?


Jeff talked this week about taking risks and not calculating what is measurable or easy to give from our own strength. I want to do what is beyond me to do so that everyone will know that God chose to do it through me. That is how He gets the glory.

No comments: